"Is after-class homework harmful or useful?" That is how a good argumentative paper topic may sound.
Argumentative essay is one more type of college paper. Students might be assigned it as part of their homework or even in-class activity. Argumentative papers exist to check student's English and ability to think critically. Another reason is to see how well students argue on different views and demonstrate knowledge of the studied subject.
GET PROMPT ACADEMIC SOLUTIONS
Have a look at this article to understand teacher's grading rubric better. Find a list of debatable essay topics divided into several different categories below.
Ways to Choose Argumentative Essay Topics
There are a lot of argumentative topics to come up with in the age of political debates, economical movements, and technological progress. Picking the subject is one of the most responsible stages (unless your teacher assigns his own subject to cover). Deciding on your topic is not that easy.
It is recommended to choose rather contradictive topics when writing a critical paper. The reader should be impressed by the way you defend your ideas. It is recommended to avoid argument essay topics on moral issues because they do not support logical discussion. Recent argumentative essay topics which are relevant to society will do.
A debatable paper must contain both analysis and fair criticism of various problems. Make sure each time you want to say something against one's claim, you need solid arguments. Otherwise, your paper won't persuade your teacher. The lack of good support sources will result in a lower grade.
Those who try to obtain their business administration degrees (BBA or MBA) must evaluate and analyze the efficiency of some marketing or HRM tools to discover the most effective approaches. Potential nurses and healthcare experts must check and discuss the efficiency of treatment.
The second thing you should take care of once you decide on the title is to keep in mind five types of argument claims.
Once you select the main subject, start working on the action plan known as academic paper outline. Keep an eye on academic paper formatting while writing.
Follow this link to find out 101 argumentative essay topics or just continue reading.
The Principles of Formatting Academic Papers
While working, mention all applied sources separately. Take notes each time you decide to add a new quote: later, this information will help to create Bibliography list much faster. Keep in mind that proper formatting is 1/3 of your grade! Thus, it is important to read corresponding formatting guide.
In contrast to middle and high school students, college students apply a greater variety of academic writings styles.
- MLA (Modern Language Association)
- APA (American Psychologic Association)
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- ACS (American Chemical Society)
APA is often applied to format the argumentative essay. It also depends on the particular college subject. APA is applied in Psychology, Philosophy, and Social Sciences while History students must be well-aware of Harvard format. Theology, Anthropology, and Religious Studies classes involve Turabian/Chicago style. Computer Science researchers apply IEEE referencing style while Chemistry students are into ACS. Teachers assign the necessary format, but keep in mind these tips if they don't.
Before writing your piece, conduct additional research on academic paper formatting. It is better to use templates as they include all necessary formatting elements. Control the margins, font, font's size, indents, and other features in your Word document. Each style is different in two ways. First, in-text citations may be either numerical or author-date style. Second, every style has a unique approach to referencing.
Young writers may try simple online citation generators which are usually free of charge. Add the details on your selected sources to get automatically generated references.
Good Argumentative Essay Topics & Ideas
Have a look at how to come up with an essay topic! It is important to focus only on one subject instead of involving several ideas and make readers confused. Read the advice from educational expert carefully.
"A clear, firm, and debatable thesis is the goal of an argumentative paper. It is impossible to cover several issues at a time as your audience may get lost and lose interest in reading. Besides, any academic paper is limited in length: the more issues your try to cover, the more extra information comes up. I would recommend avoiding argumentative essay topic ideas associated with national/global problems. They usually require more than a few pages. If you choose a broad issue, narrow it down by tossing away details such as descriptions and useless examples.
There are four main characteristics of good argumentative essay topics. They are always CDRM.
C - current
D - debatable
R - researchable
M - manageable
Finally, great argument essay topics are always passionate!"
Tara Christianson, Yale's Literature and Arts Professor
Get acquainted with the list of persuasive paper ideas! Take a look at the list of critical thinking essay topics for students from different areas of expertise. These are the most popular paper titles. Change them according to your requirements.
TRY OUR ONLINE ACADEMIC SERVICES
Argumentative Essay Topics for College
- What should be changed about current taxation system?
- Shakespeare: Was he real?
- Are Project Managers and CEOs paid too much?
- Is college admission getting too sharp?
- Are test scores the most accurate indication of individual competency?
- Military service and the role of gender
- Why are left-handed guitar players more gifted?
- Do all religions have a right to exist?
- What are the causes of the increased number of teenage mothers?
- What happens once we die?
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
- My favorite music
- Burton's "Ed Wood": Was Depp the best choice?
- Is particular fashion important today?
- Are girls too mean?
- Do human beings cause global climate change?
- Polygamy is natural, so it's not evil
- Can you succeed in life being a philosopher?
- Is art a profession?
- How long a modern film usually takes?
- What is the true meaning of "love"?
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is US election process fair?
- Should animals be used in experiments/testing?
- Is the death penalty effective?
- Do religious movements cause war?
- The politics of British government
- Celebrities tend to fail their political careers
- The system is too much corrupted today
- Politics is everywhere and always a "dirty" game
- Clinton could be a better US President
- Positive and negative outcomes of feminism
Social Media Argumentative Essay Topics
- Critical factors of quickly modifying consumer behavior
- Can girls ask boys out first?
- Should cigarettes be sold?
- Is our society a throw-away?
- Should nation market to children?
- What is the best alternative to Twitter?
- Do people really find a job through effective LinkedIn Profile?
- Does government have a right to view private profiles?
- Are popular online activists too shy in real life?
- Is it possible earn good money on YouTube?
Argumentative Essay Topics Technology Students May Choose
- Are cell phones too harmful?
- Are spy applications for mobile phones an invasion of privacy?
- Are modern young people too dependent on computers?
- Is any online lottery fair?
- Is TypeScript a future of front-end development?
- Are modern teens too much reliant on Information Technologies?
- Do we still need cell phones?
- How do people survive in the age of technological explosion?
- Can corporations create chips to control their employees' minds?
- What will our world look like in technological sense in the next century?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Sports
- Are violent video games that dangerous?
- Does participation in sports keep teens out of trouble?
- Is competition the best way to prove your competence?
- Are children changing positively when doing sports?
- Is cheating in sports games out of control?
- What is the most dangerous type of sports?
- Is swimming the only activity which trains every group of muscles?
- Are there any legal alternatives to steroids?
- Does cheerleading fit in games?
- Which type of sports is meant only for the wealthiest?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School
- Should metal music be banned due to the violent lyrics?
- How can children be effectively punished?
- What age is appropriate to start dating?
- Can students evaluate and critique their teachers?
- Should public schools add creationism to their programs?
- Which genre of music may help to study?
- Females prefer romantic movies.
- Is it possible to trace someone online?
- Is it possible to make friends virtually?
- The role of school uniform.
Argumentative Essay Topics for High School
- The educational system in China
- Is homeschooling effective?
- Is the cost of university too high?
- Should the government have a say in our nutrition?
- What are the advantages of attending a single-sex school?
- Can graffiti be viewed as art?
- What type of social activity should be legally punished?
- Is the United States too lenient on Israel?
- Is India a genuine superpower?
- Pros and cons of globalization.
Health Related Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should alcohol usage be restricted legally?
- Government has to provide premium health care?
- Do curfews really keep adolescents out of trouble?
- Supplements used to cure cancer
- Are gay couples under the threat of HIV more than straight pairs?
- Can technological devices cause cancer?
- How much water should we drink per day?
- How do vegetarians survive?
- The risks coming from fast food.
- Going to the hospital versus self-treatment.
Social Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is torture or rape ever acceptable?
- Should sexual maniacs be sentenced to death?
- Can male employees get paternity leave from work?
- Does age matter in relationships?
- Do low prices on condoms prevent teen pregnancy?
- Ways to handle naughty teens
- What is the right punishment for the failed parenting?
- What are the causes of Down's syndrome?
- Is black PR acceptable?
- Can we treat abortion as a crime?
Are you ready to discover one more extra topic? Let it be something universal like "What are the best methods to control modern generation?"
Tips on Writing Powerful Argumentative Essay
Make a candy out of your paper by following expert recommendations!
- Write about different aspects of contemporary life. Do not cover fantastic issues in an argumentative essay as you must sound realistic by providing real-life examples. That's why choosing social media, sports, politics, gender issues, and school/college themes would work.
- Start with a great hook to capture attention. It can be a rhetorical question, literary quote, or else, but it is important not to use more than one hook in your paper. Mind this professional advice when choosing the best hooking sentence.
- There is no need to include a first-person ("I," "we") unless required by instructions. Still, students are encouraged to share their own opinions.
- It is important to read all relevant literature to add ideas that oppose personal opinion. To debate fairly, the evidence must be taken from the credible sources only! Exclude topics that do not have opposing opinions.
- Feel free to create an original topic, but you may also use numerous lists of prepared themes.
- Try to sound unbiased when protecting your point of view. The following elements will support your research:
- clear criteria
- expert feedback
- supportive arguments
- End up your text with a strong call-to-action (CTA). Unlike in marketing, your goal is to sell your article. In other words, make the reader want to discuss the problem even once he's done with reading. Motivate your audience to continue the research.
- Don't forget to refer to this article to recall the best argumentative essay ideas chosen by many successful students throughout the world!
Tired of endless academic writing? Need quick help with formatting? Sometimes you might need some professional help with argumentative essay topics. Don't lose your head trying to master every writing style, academic discipline, and research method trying. Sit down and assume each advantage proposed by the best companies. Discover them thanks to your Google. Remember: students can always count on professional essay writing assistance. Just make an order to check it out!
WE CAN WRITE FOR YOU ANY ACADEMIC TASK!
Wishing for a magic writing solution? – We’ve got one for you
Get a price quote & proceed with the order!
By choosing good topics for an argumentative essay, at first you should find out what an argumentative essay is and what writing tips are necessary to follow. This essay presents the arguments with their supporting and opposing ideas. The writer should persuade the reader to adopt his or her point of view and behavior rules.
The distinctive characteristic of this type of essay is that the author needs to rebut the arguments of the opposite stance. What this means is that you need to elaborate what evidence the opposition has and find facts to refute it. Some students even think that this type of paper is the most difficult.
However, you shouldn’t panic, because each task that is given to you in college or high school can be completed successfully if you have a good strategy. One thing you need to remember is that planning can ease this process a lot. The first step of writing the paper is selecting the topic. Sometimes this step can take even twenty percent of the entire work time. We decided to make this easier for you and have gathered issues in one list which you will see below. Hopefully, our topic ideas inspire you to write an A-level paper. Before moving to the list, we recommend that you get acquainted with these quick and useful tips.
How to Choose an Argumentative Essay Topic
Make sure that the topic is not too broad. Otherwise, you won’t be able to reveal it properly. Try to be specific by focusing on a certain aspect of a general issue.
Take into consideration that good argumentative essay topics should concern a conflict that urges many discussions in society. It should be an important and arguable topic.
When opting for an argumentative essay topic, find out whether you will be able to find proper factual information to support your arguments.
Under the conditions of tight deadlines, you need to make quick, yet well-thought decisions. All essay topics have their advantages and disadvantages. If you can’t select the topic among several choices, compare them by defining the pros and cons of each.
Before presenting a certain argument, make sure it is strong enough to convince the reader. Each argument should be supported with evidence consisting of facts, stats, and so on.
Ask yourself the question: “Do I care about this issue?” That way, you’ll understand whether the subject is truly interesting for you. If it is, you are likely to perform better with your task.
The List of Good Topics for an Argumentative Essay
- Can the death penalty be effective?
- Is buying a lottery ticket a good idea?
- Is competition really good?
- Is religion the cause of war?
- Is fashion really important?
- Are girls too “mean” in their friendship?
- Are feminist women being too harsh on other women who don’t support the movement?
- Can smoking be prevented by making tobacco illegal?
- Is a highly competitive environment good or bad for studying or working?
- Is it true that life 100 years ago was easier?
- What are the drawbacks of a democratic political system?
- What is cultural shock and how does it impact our perception of other people’s cultures?
- Should working moms be given special privileges?
- Should there still be any quotas for accepting people from minorities?
- Is being fired a suitable punishment for cyberbullying?
- Are we too dependent on computers?
- Are cell phones really dangerous?
- Does social media fame impact one’s life?
- Will we ever be able to stop using social media from our own free will?
- Can humanity get rid of the Internet and continue developing?
- Are reading ebooks worse than reading paper books?
- What are the drawbacks of online dating apps such as Tinder?
- Should content on the Internet be more restricted?
- Will paper money be substituted by electronic money?
- Does a constant social media connection make people feel more lonely and stressed?
- Do technologies that ease housekeeping, such as a robotic vacuum cleaner, make people too idle?
- Who is responsible for the excessive amount of abusive language in comments (under blogs and social media posts, videos, etc.) on the Web?
- What is the impact of technology on people’s ability to create?
- What is considered as superfluous usage of the Internet, and can it be counted as a form of addiction?
- Will the creation of artificial intelligence which can regulate itself lead to human extinction?
- Should torture be acceptable?
- Is it ethical to tell someone else’s secret to a person involved in that secret (for example, if you discover that your friend has been cheated on)?
- Do paparazzi violate the private lives of celebrities?
- Is it fair that people with no special skills get famous and rich from social media?
- Is it a good idea to start a diary?
- Is it fair to control the time a teenager dedicates to playing computer games or using the Internet?
- Should people help the poor?
- Can a person whose spouse is in a coma demand a divorce?
- Do beauty pageants influence the moral values of society in the wrong way?
- Do cameras placed in public places infringe on people’s privacy?
- Should women who don’t have enough money for living opt for an abortion?
- Does a person with a physically or mentally disabled significant other have a moral right to cheat?
- Is killing a murderer immoral?
- Should people use animal tested cosmetics and drugs to protect themselves from dangerous consequences?
- Is it moral to refuse to save someone’s life if there’s any risk for your own?
- Is homework helpful?
- At what age should sex education be introduced at schools?
- Does the amount of information we have to learn in school get bigger? Is this good or bad?
- Does home schooling undermine a child’s ability to learn how to socialize?
- If college education is made free, will it be more or less qualitative?
- If compulsory homework is canceled, would children stop learning at all?
- Should children be taught at school about gender nonconformity and various types of sexual orientation?
- Should the grades or attendance for gym impact the GPA of a student?
- Should school teachers and staff members be allowed to socialize with students after school?
- Are standardized tests a good way to evaluate someone’s knowledge?
- Should children be occasionally tested for drugs at school?
- If a child doesn’t like the subject, can a school administration absolve him or her from studying the subject on the parents’ demand?
- Should all subjects be optional?
- Do prof-orientation tests really help students to decide on a profession?
- Should children be taught housekeeping at school?
- Is it useful or harmful to give treats to a child when he or she does well in school?
- If your child doesn’t like studying, is it acceptable to force him or her?
- Should people undergo testing to become parents?
- Is it irresponsible to have many children? (five or more)
- Is it fair to control the time a teenager dedicates to playing computer games or using the Internet?
- At what age should parents allow teenagers to try alcohol?
- Should children be asked by the court who they want to stay with after their parents’ divorce?
- Should siblings of different gender be treated the same way by parents?
- Should adults be responsible for their elderly parents? Should they be obliged to help them financially?
- Do parents have the right to read their children’s personal diaries?
- At what age should gadgets be introduced to children?
- If parents find out their teenage child takes drugs, do they need to apply to specific institutions or settle the problem on their own?
- Should parents allow teenagers to have plastic surgery if they don’t have obvious defects?
- Do parents need to invade their teenage children’s personal relationships?
- Should women and men have different rights and responsibilities in spousal relationships?
- Should healthcare systems be free or paid?
- Is breakfast really the most important meal of the day? Why or why not?
- Should fast food come with a warning, like cigarettes and alcohol?
- Would it be better if the world had a universal healthcare system?
- Should people who suffer from incurable diseases be euthanized if it is their wish?
- Is human cloning acceptable?
- Does the time when people go to bed affect their health?
- Should shopping addiction be considered as a real disease on a governmental level?
- Are causes of obesity more physical or mental?
- Should office workers be obliged to follow certain rules, such as washing hands, to reduce the frequency of spreading viruses and infections?
- Should the working day be shortened to six hours for the sake of health?
- Do children of school age need to be provided with free mental therapy?
- Does the lifespan depend on genetics more than on other factors?
- Can people live without meat at all?
- Do all kinds of sports bring benefits to people’s health?
Art, Movie, Literature
- Should bookstores establish age limitations for certain books?
- Are movies of the 21st century much crueler than movies filmed in the 20th century?
- To what extent should movies that depict historical events be accurate?
- Should schools use electronic textbooks to save paper?
- Should paintings that contain nudity be censored?
- Is it acceptable to bring children to exhibitions of a photographer who performs in nude style?
- Do actors take mental risks when playing different characters, including psychopaths and murderers?
- Should people read more books or articles to develop their mental horizons?
- Is watching television series a waste of time?
- Do famous artists have an innate talent, or do they put in great effort to learn how to draw?
Where to Get More Argumentative Essay Topics?
Every now and then finding topics for argumentative essays can be challenging for students. There are many ways to get a topic, such as looking for it on educational websites, asking your teacher for tips, exploring the textbook, looking through argumentative essay examples or reading newspapers to understand which issues are important and controversial nowadays. Also, you should know that EssayShark.com is always ready to provide you with essay help. If you have run out of ideas, just contact us and we’ll do our best to help you. We wish you good luck with your studying and to achieve all your academic goals!