A flood is an overflow of water on land which is usually dry.
Sometimes a water resource (river, lake or pond) gets flushed with too much water. Unusually heavy rain sometimes causes floods. When there is too much water, it may overflow beyond its normal limits. This water then spreads over land, flooding it. Extreme flooding can also be caused by a tsunami or a large storm that causes a storm surge. Floods that happen quickly are called flash floods.
The most deadly flooding was in 1931 in China and killed between 2,000,000 and 4,000,000 people.
During a flood, people try to move themselves and their most precious belongings to higher ground quickly. The process of leaving homes in search of a safe place is called evacuation.
Pollution of drinking water[change | change source]
During a flood there is plenty of water, but it is mostly polluted and not safe to drink. If people drink the dirty water, they may suffer from diseases such as typhoid and cholera. People can get ready to survive a flood by filling many containers with fresh and clean drinking water and storing other emergency supplies.
Causes of floods[change | change source]
Flooding is usually caused by a volume of water within a water body, such as a lake, overflowing. Sometimes a dam breaks, suddenly releasing a large amount of water. The result is that some of the water travels to land, and 'floods' the area. Many rivers are in a channel, between river banks. They flood when the strength of the river causes it to flow beyond the banks. This is more common at bends or meanders. Flood damage can be prevented by moving away from places that flood. However, people have long liked to have their homes and businesses alongside water because water is good for agriculture and transport and in other ways. Floods are also caused due to improper management of drains.
2010-11 Floods in Queensland[change | change source]
In 2010 and 2011, Queensland floods hurt Australia's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by diminishing export revenues. Operations at about 40 coal mines were disrupted because of the floods. Crops were damaged and grazing lands were underwater.
References[change | change source]
Other page[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Floods.|
- ↑MSN Encarta Dictionary. Flood. Retrieved on 2006-12-28. Archived 2009-10-31.
- ↑Directive 2007/60/EC Chapter 1 Article2. eur-lex.europa.eu. Retrieved on 2012-06-12.
- ↑O'Connor, Jim E. and John E. Costa. 2004. The world's largest floods, past and present: their causes and magnitudes [Circular 1254]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey.
Floods are due to excessive rainfall and lack of proper drainage system. The severity of the flood may vary from region to region, and the destruction caused by it is also different. Whenever you have to write an essay on this subject, we have to present different lengthy essays to help you with this topic.
Essay on Flood - 1 (200 words)
Floods occur in most areas where there is excessive rainfall and poor drainage system. Other causes of the flood include water flow from rivers and oceans, due to the breakdown of the dam, excessive water flowing in the plains, excessive amount of water has increased due to sudden melting of glaciers. Hurricanes and tsunamis in the coastal areas cause flood. Flooding as other natural disasters can also be a major cause of destruction.
Many towns and cities are suffering from heavy floods all over the world, which can damage people and animals, resulting in property and other valuable properties and damage to soil and plants. Farmers are also affected by the flood, due to the weather their crops are wasted. Ikta water is also the reason for the spread of various diseases for several days in a special place. When circumstances are serious in the flood, schools and offices are closed and this causes problems of normal life of the people. It takes months for severe flood-facing places to become normal.
The irony is that there are some areas which are often affected by floods and even if the government is aware of this problem, proper steps are not taken to remove it. Government should make good drainage systems and water storage systems to control this problem.
Essay on Flood - 2 (300 words)
Due to heavy rains caused by deadly floods, diseases have led to deadly consequences of diseases. This eliminates destruction of life, destruction of life, loss of life, increase in diseases, price rise, economic loss and environmental destruction. Flood depends on their type and severity
Types of flood
Many times floods can be controlled for a few days, although sometimes it is controlled in the week so that there is no adverse effect on the lives of people living in that area. Here's a look at the different types of floods:
This type of flood occurs when the water content of rivers becomes high and the surrounding areas are affected. Such a flood develops gradually and can last for a few weeks. It spreads for several kilometers and its effect on most of its lower areas. Due to floods in these areas, water can cause loss of life and property and various diseases can also be increased.
High speed flood
They take some time to build and this kind of flood can last for a day or two. Such floods are also very destructive, although most people are warned about them and they should try to avoid spoiling before the situation. In such places, tourists planning holiday plans should cancel their plans and if there is a time, try to avoid this situation.
This kind of flood is manufactured mostly during a period of time, like few hours or minutes. Due to the breakdown of ice or dam it is due to heavy rain. This type of flood is considered to be the most deadly and can be destroyed at large, because it is almost sudden and people do not get the time to take precautions.
In the affected areas, floods interfere with day-to-day activities. Floods create various problems for those living in these areas, in areas affected by heavy flooding, it takes months to rebuild public life and sometimes also year after year.
Essay on Flood - 3 (400 words)
Flood is a natural disaster due to excessive water accumulation in any area. This is often the result of heavy rains due to the breakdown of dams and the melting of the snow, due to the increase in the level of water level of the river or sea, floods have to be faced in many areas. Hurricanes and tsunamis in coastal areas cause this situation.
Flood Affected Area Around the World
There is a possibility of constant floods in many areas around the world. Cities across the world with severe and frequent flooding include Mumbai and Kolkata, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Tianjin, Ecuador, New York, New Jersey, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Miami and New Orleans in India. In the past, these areas have been destroyed due to the flood.
How to control the problem caused by floods?
From disrupting human life to harming the environment - Flood has many negative consequences which are difficult to deal with. Thus controlling the flood is very important. Here are some ways to control this problem:
- Flood Warning System: Establishing better flood warnings systems is the time needed so that people can be warned at the right time about the upcoming problem and they have enough time to protect yourself and your belongings.
- Construction of buildings in the flood affected area: The floodplain of buildings should be constructed above the level of the flood water so that the loss of property along with the people living there can also be avoided.
- Start of water storage system: To reuse rain water, the government should invest in the construction of water storage systems. In this way water can be used extensively instead of overflow of water and causing flooding in the plains.
- Strengthen the drainage system: One of the main reasons for flooding is a poor drainage system. To avoid drainage, it is necessary to have good drainage system, which will not lead to flood situation.
- Establish flood barrier: Flood barriers should be established in those areas which are affected by the flood. They can be removed after water is released.
Although it can be difficult to stop the occurrence of rain, melting of ice-mountains, water drains and storms, in most of these cases, the first strike can be carried out and the government can take measures to ensure drainage, in which flood situation arises. Maybe. The flood situation can be avoided by employing some of the above shared ideas here.
Essay on Flood - 4 (500 words)
Flood conditions are caused due to heavy winds, with overflow of water from water bodies such as heavy rains, rivers and oceans, glacier melting, storms and coastal edges. When there is a lack of good drainage system for excessive amount of water, then this water causes floods.
The flood water inhibits the normal functioning of the affected area. Due to severe flooding, large scale destruction can occur. Here's how floods affect earth:
- Threat to life: Many people and animals lose their life due to severe flooding. Many people are injured and infected with various diseases. In many places, the accumulation of mosquitoes and other insects for the reproduction of insects is the cause of various diseases like malaria and dengue. Recent cases of dysentery, pneumonic plague and military fever have increased.
- Electricity cut: Today the supply of electricity and water has been hampered, so that problems of the common people are increasing. There is also the risk of catching current in those places where power supply is intact.
- Economic losses: Many people lose their homes and other properties like cars, motorcycles, which take years to buy. It is a matter of concern for the government because many police personnel, firemen and other officers have to be deployed for the rescue operation. In cases of severe floods, it takes many years to re-create the affected areas.
- Price increases: Supply of goods is reduced in flood affected areas as road transport can not reach there. Apart from this, the stored items in these areas also get damaged due to flood. There is a shortage of supplies and demand is high and thus there is an increase in prices of commodities.
- Soil erosion: When there is heavy rainfall, soils can not absorb entire water and this often leads to erosion of soil which has dire consequences. In addition to soil erosion, soil quality is also affected.
- Plants: Floods are not just threats for humans and animals, but there is also danger for vegetation. Heavy rains often occur with thunder, lightning and strong winds. There is a reason to overthrow the storm trees. In addition, during the flood the crop gets damaged and many other plants are also destroyed.
Flood affected areas in India
Many areas in India have to face flooding problems year after year. The major areas affected by this natural calamity in the country are North Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal, parts of Mumbai, Maharashtra, Punjab and Haryana, coastal Andhra Pradesh and most of the Ganges plains, including Orissa, Brahmaputra valley and South Gujarat. Due to the flood these places have suffered serious damage in the past and are still facing the danger.
Flood is one of the natural disasters which is the cause of large destruction in different areas. It is time that the Government of India should take this problem seriously and follow strong measures to control this problem..
Essay on Flood - 5 (600 words)
Flood occurs when the amount of water flowing on the ground increases due to excessive rainfall in a particular drought area. This can also be due to overflow of water from the water bodies like river, ocean and lake. Floods are known due to mass destruction. The reason for destruction in some areas is so serious that it takes many years to repair the damage.
Due to flood
Here's a look at the various causes of the flood:
- Heavy Rain: Flood situation may be due to poor drainage system. Many times heavy rainfall can also cause flooding, while on the other hand, light rainfall for many days can also create flood-like conditions.
- Melting of ice: The mountains that are covered with snow during the winter season begin to thaw, because the temperature rises. The sudden melting of ice is due to temperature rise and as a result, the amount of water in the plains increases. In areas where there is excessive amount of water, due to lack of proper drainage system, flood situation becomes. It is often known as the melting flood from ice.
- Breakdown of the dam: Dams are made to flow from the height to water. Propellers are used to make electricity from water. Many times the dams are broken because they do not catch large amounts of water, which in turn leads to flooding in the surrounding areas. Sometimes deliberately released from a highly damaged dam so that it can prevent it from cracking. The result may also be floods.
- Overflow of water bodies: Water bodies such as rivers, rivers, etc. can be flooded in the surrounding areas due to frequent flooding. The lower areas near the rivers are most affected during this time because the water flows down from the river.
- Winds in the coastal area: Strong winds and storms have the ability to carry sea water in dried coastal areas, which causes floods. This can cause serious damage to coastal areas. Hurricanes and tsunamis are known for the great devastation in the coastal land.
Global warming: The main cause of floods
The frequency of floods has increased in recent days. It is said that due to global warming, the average sea temperature has increased significantly and has increased the rate and rigidity of the tropical storm in the Caribbean. These storms are the reason for heavy rains in the countries in their path. Global warming, which is causing an increase in atmospheric temperature, is also one of the reasons for the melting of glaciers and ice, which is again a cause of flood in many areas. It is said that polar ice will have a bad effect in the coming time, which is likely to worsen the situation.
There has been a major change in the overall climate conditions on Earth and global warming is considered to be the reason for this change. Where some areas experience excessive flooding, others experience drought.
Although we can not prevent rain or glaciers from melting, but we can certainly build good drainage system to deal with flood water. In many countries, like most parts of Singapore, there is heavy rainfall but there is good drainage system. Even during heavy rains, there is no problem. The Government of India should also construct a good drainage system to avoid the problem of flood and the damage to the affected areas.