Journalism cover letter
View this sample cover letter for journalism, or download the journalist cover letter template in Word.
As a journalist, you know the importance of exceptional writing and storytelling. To be considered for top journalism jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your work. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for a journalist, or download the journalism cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn more about media careers and editorial careers, as well as look for journalism jobs on Monster.
Journalism cover letter template
Sometown, MA 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org | Portfolio URL
October 4, 2017
Mr. Chad Dallas
4350 West Ave.
Sometown, MA 55555
Dear Mr. Dallas:
As a journalism and mass communications major at XYZ University preparing to graduate next month, I am eager to launch my career in newspaper journalism. Your news reporter opening advertised on Monster is an excellent match to my qualifications.
While studying at XYZ, I gained experience as a:
- News reporter intern at DEF News, where I wrote news and feature articles of interest to Sometown-area residents.
- Reporter and editor at The Gold Standard (XYZ’s student newspaper), where I earned a “National Pacemaker Award” (considered to be the “Pulitzer Prize” of American college student journalism) for my series on a fraternity hazing.
- Blogger for Somedomain.com, a student-run news website covering the local and national political scene that I co-launched and grew to 7,500 subscribers. In this role, my colleagues and I produced short-form videos as well as long-form features for daily newscasts.
- Sports reporter covering the university’s football and basketball teams for XYZ’s website.
In both classroom and work settings, I earned a reputation as a dedicated journalist with a passion for accurately covering important issues and events, engaging readers and helping fuel positive change.
It would be an honor to report for your award-winning newspaper and work with your talented team of writers and editors. I am confident that my experience publishing and promoting content on social media and delivering on multiple platforms would benefit your newspaper as you move to digital delivery.
You may review my résumé and news clips at somedomain.com. Thank you!
See all sample cover letters on Monster.
Assistant Editor Cover Letter
Assistants Editor work in the publishing industry and are involved in the publication of magazines, journals, books, online content, and publicity material. As a part of their role to support the editorial staff, Assistants Editor complete the following job duties: commissioning editors, drafting contracts, coordinating writers and illustrators, writing summaries of written material, evaluating manuscripts, obtaining rights to use materials from different sources, conducting research, providing instructions to writers, and completing various administrative tasks.
Successful cover letter samples for Assistant Editor focus on the following skills and job assets:
- Training in humanities and communication
- An eye for details
- Administrative skills
- Self-confidence and enthusiasm
- The ability to work under pressure
- Strong English writing and oral skills
- Computer competences
Those interested in an Assistant Editor position can check relevant job qualifications in the example cover letter displayed just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Assistant Editor Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Hill:
Please accept the enclosed resume in response to your posting for an Assistant Editor. As an enthusiastic and skilled professional with solid experience in content acquisition and editing, coupled with my aptitude for efficiently managing special projects, I feel confident in my ability to exceed your expectations for this role.
My background incorporates excellent experience assisting senior editors in selecting, acquiring, developing and publishing new articles in assistant editorial positions with Chronicle Magazine and Lighthouse Quarterly. From executing substantive changes to content format and organization to facilitating content design and layout, my contributions have resulted in significant business growth, expansion, and improved performance for both print and digital magazines. With my experience and skill set, I am ready to extend my record of accomplishments with your title as your next Assistant Editor.
Highlights of my experience include the following:
- Acquiring, editing, formatting, and publishing articles spanning a range of topics and genres, working closely with authors, senior editors, and production teams to achieve successful publication and propel readership.
- Researching new topics and areas of reader interest to expand magazines’ subject range; selecting writers to develop and present relevant articles, resulting in readership increases of up to 48%.
- Managing newly developed social media marketing communications—via Facebook and Twitter—for Chronicle Magazine.
- Creating and instituting a comprehensive style guide for Lighthouse Quarterly to ensure style consistency and uniformity.
- Developing trusting and lasting relationships with authors, peers, publication management teams, and freelancers through hard work, integrity, a positive attitude, and a collaborative spirit.
- Earning a Bachelor of Arts in English from Rhode Island College in 2011.
With my talent, experience, and achievements, I believe I am highly qualified to substantially benefit your team and contribute to your magazine’s success. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
John P. Engle